Interactive Annual Report

Centre for Human Rights
Go To Site
Note: This report is awaiting publciation by the client. A link to the final project will be provided upon publication.

Rethinking, developing, and maintaining the Centre for Human Rights Website


  • Data Visualisation
  • Web Development


  • Wordpress
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • Javascript (Google Charts API)
  • Sketch
  • Adobe Illustrator

Time Frame

  • 5 Weeks


York University's Centre for Human Rights publishes annual reports to the York community that detail contact it has received concerning human rights complaints, consultations, and enquiries on campus. For the past 8 years, these reports have taken the form of a printed booklet. However, in an effort to make the content more accessible to the community, I submitted proposal to develop an interactive web page that would allow our team to provide yearly updates, without going through the costs of printing.


There were three main reasons why I felt that the centre could benefit from moving over to a web based report format: The first, of course, was that we could eliminate the substantial cost of printing the reports from our budget. Secondly, it would allow us to better measure the reach our report was having, And thirdly, it reduces the time it takes to meet AODA standards, and allows us to make edits without having to order a new set of booklets.


After outlining the objectives of the project and setting a rough timeline for deliverables, I started by breaking down the content into our various service areas, and used that as the structure for the page navigation.

After determining the structure, I created a series of mockups that I then presented to the rest of the team. Once I had them on board with the concept, I then researched various libraries for creating the interactive aspects of the data visualisation. I settled on using Google Charts, because it could easily integrate into our Google Drive account. Using these charts, in coordination with the features built into York University’s WordPress theme, I iterated, tested, and debugged the project until we were satisfied with the result.